Archaeologists uncover medieval structure at Lindores Abbey Distillery
Drew McKenzie Smith, MD of Lindores Abbey Distillery and Gary Haggart, Distillery Manager, inspecting the new discovery.
The background shows the original grain store of the Abbey.
A medieval structure, believed to be the remains of one of the oldest whisky stills ever discovered, has been unearthed at Lindores Abbey. During the archaeological dig, experts uncovered what they believe to be an installation that was used for the distillation process during medieval times.
The archaeologists present at the dig confirmed that the structure’s features are characteristic of traditional kiln stills of the mediaeval era, and that the residue found within is certainly in keeping with brewing and distilling practices of the time.
The stone structure has been excavated and found to contain traces of charcoal, barley, oats, wheat and pottery that have been dated back to the medieval times, when the monks first began to distil their bols of malt, the product that we now know as Scotch whisky. The structure was unearthed next to the site of the original grain store, suggesting that grain was essential for its function.
The resident archaeologist at the dig commented: ‘It would be fair to say that the archaeological structures and environmental deposits that have been found are commensurate in character with distilling – they have also been found at a medieval monastery known, from historical records, to have been distilling on an industrial scale in the late medieval period. The evidence is however also commensurate with brewing, cooking, and baking which were practiced at the Abbey.’
Drew McKenzie Smith, MD and founder of Lindores Abbey Distillery, commented: ‘It is hard to overestimate the potential significance of this discovery. Many signs point towards this being one of the earliest stills ever discovered, and this is almost certainly the site referenced in the Exchequer Rolls of 1494 that include the first ever written record of aqua vitae or whisky, as we know it today. Lindores Abbey has long been considered the spiritual home of Scotch whisky, and this discovery underlines the historical importance of this site.’
For further information, interviews and images, please contact Poppy on +44 7446 074308 or email on firstname.lastname@example.org
Read about the years of research into the history of Lindores, Friar John cor and aqua vitae as well as the archaeological exploration that has taken place at Lindores HERE
NOTES TO EDITORS
Lindores Abbey was founded in 1191 by David Earl of Huntingdon, on land overlooking the River Tay, given to him by his brother King William I. It was visited by Kings and Queens, warriors and statesmen. William Wallace took refuge with 300 of his men after their victory over the English.
The first ever written record of Scotch whisky distillation took place at Lindores Abbey in 1494, according to the exchequer rolls of King James IV.
Built directly on the site of the Lindores dairy farm steading that Drew McKenzie Smith’s great grandfather bought in 1913, Lindores Abbey Distillery has been crafted from original Abbey stone.
Lindores Abbey ruins are where William Wallace rested after the Battle of Black Earnside in 1298, the burial site of the first Duke of Rothesay, and a place of exceptional tranquility and beauty.