The Preservation Society wants to see Lindores Abbey flourish again as a site for research, learning, brewing, distilling, horticulture, and even beekeeping. By reviving so many of the ancient crafts and traditions that were practised here centuries ago, we hope to see this ancient site returned to its former glory.
Standing amid the ivy-clad ruins of Lindores Abbey it’s possible to imagine the day when in 1298 a battle-wearied William Wallace and his men strode through the east gate fresh from a skirmish with the Earl of Pembroke’s men at the nearby Battle of Blackearnside, and refreshed themselves with water from the Holy Burn. The ruins are also a visible reminder of the day Lindores Abbey, built in 1191, came to an abrupt end in 1559 when a rabble roused by John Knox’s distinctive brand of religious intolerance “overthrew the altars, broke up statues, burned the books and vestments and made them cast aside their monkish habits”. The local villagers then used many of the Abbey stones to build their own houses and the Abbey slowly became the ruins that you see today, with all its secrets and stories forgotten.
Over 100 years ago, the McKenzie Smith family bought the Abbey and farmed the local land. In 2017 the latest Custodian Drew McKenzie Smith, opened Lindores Abbey Distillery on farmland opposite the ruins, with the intention of restoring and preserving the Abbey and reinstating the heritage orchards and extensive gardens which were first introduced here by the Tironensian monks following their arrival in the 12th Century.
You can help us to further continue this work by becoming a member of Lindores Abbey Distillery. A part of every membership is donated to the Preservation Society to help us preserve and continue the traditions that were established here over 500 years ago.Be Part of the Plans
Archaeology at Lindores
Throughout the build of the distillery we had to do a great deal of archaeological work to ensure that we were not going disrupt anything under the soil. A very thorough dig took place and we were delighted that for the first time in over 500 years we had a far greater understanding of the layout of the Abbey as we uncovered several walls that no one knew existed. The findings were meticulously recorded, and we filled in the trenches with sand to preserve the walls for a further 500 years.
The oldest whisky still in the world?
Once we had finished the initial dig we still needed to create a SUDs pond, and very soon after we broke ground we discovered what on first sight looked like a well as it had water in it, but once it was cleaned out we could see it was a clay lined bowl 4 foot across and 3 ft deep. The archaeologists present at the dig confirmed that the structure’s features are characteristic of traditional kiln stills of the medieval era, and that the residue found within is certainly in keeping with brewing and distilling practices of the time. Could this be the oldest whisky still in the world? We certainly hope so. You can read more about this structure HERE
Both our onsite Archaeologist and visiting archaeologists have all said that all the archaeological features and environmental deposits uncovered at Lindores are commensurate with light industrial activity and indicate burning, heating, drains and water management. Such remains are associated with a whole host of medieval activities and in the context of an outer monastic precinct (where the remains were found), they could indicate distilling, as well as a brewhouse, baking, smithing, washing or a whole host of cooking or processing activities. Without further exploration we cannot definitively say what was being distilled and why but the well-known 1494 reference certainly indicates that distilling was being practised at Lindores on a semi-industrial scale.
All of this tantalising evidence makes us want to continue to unearth the secrets of Lindores with further archaeological exploration, as we feel sure that the ancient ruins have more stories to tell!
To read more about the years of research into the history of Lindores, Friar John cor and aqua vitae as well as the archaeological exploration that has taken place at Lindores see below.Learn more
New Traditions for a New Era
As well as restoring so many ancient practices, we are also hoping to start some traditions of our own.
After an absence of over 500 years, in 2018 we introduced Bee’s back to Lindores Abbey with 6 hives being set up by the Holy Burn. We will use the honey in varied ways, one possibly being in our Aqua Vitae. Our chief beekeeper is Charley Clark, who is only seventeen but has already picked up extensive knowledge and is a now a member of the Fife bee-keeping association and the work she is carrying out here is forming part of her baccalaureate studies. Charley has a blog for anyone keen to follow the progress of project ‘Bee’.
Tim, our Apothecary, is always experimenting with many of the wild flowers and herbs that grow around the Abbey and we hope to produce drinks and cordials from these in the years to come.
Preserving the Abbey
One of the most pressing restoration tasks is to continue to tackle the ivy that is slowly taking over the ruins. From Drew’s Grandfathers day the family have been maintaining the ivy and cutting it back but this is a huge and laborious process that requires careful advice from Historic Scotland as over the centuries the stone and the ivy have become interdependent and if the ivy was killed off, the walls would crumble.Help us
JOIN THE 1494
Be part of something unique
The Bear Burning
On the hill overlooking our stillhouse, you will see a bear holding a ragged staff, burnt into the ground.
It is a depiction of the stone statue that was taken from the Abbot’s lodgings at the Abbey at the time of the Reformation. This statue can now be found above the door of the Bear Tavern in Newburgh.
Each year we burn this outline into the ground to remind ourselves of the importance of our past and to toast the coming year’s distillate.Take Part